You may or may not have about a crowdfunding campaign out there that’s trying to set up a marketplace to “beat Zillow.” Regardless, you’re in for a treat because this episode features my buddy Jason Frazier. He recently wrote an article in response to the BZ movement saying that if you really want to beat Zillow, it’s easy. Stop using it. But that’s not really the issue – the issue is that you do the work needed to build a business that makes you the Grand Poobah, the Noble Lumpkin, the Digital Mayor of your little corner of the world – and attracts clients to you in powerful ways as a result. Want to know how? Jason brings the fire on this episode so be sure you listen!
When you create a clear plan and user experience you’ll be able to beat Zillow’s game.
There are many companies out there trying to build a better real estate app. The idea is that if they can create a better user experience they can actually beat Zillow and not be so dependent on it. The problem is that you’re not going to beat Zillow in that way. They’ve gained the lead and already have a great app that shows well on every platform – and they have the financial backing to keep it that way. But what you can do is do whatever it takes to make your specific marketing plan and community-directed user experience better than Zillow can ever create. Why? Because you are there in the midst of your community, Zillow isn’t. Find out how Jason Frazier describes this kind of community-targeted marketing, on this episode of Onion Juice.
Are you focusing on becoming the digital mayor of your town?
It’s no secret that people use the internet to discover all kinds of things about the places around them. Where’s the best coffee shop? Where’s the best Thai food? Who has the best deal on used cars? AND… (drum roll, please) WHO’S THE REAL ESTATE AGENT WHO HAS SOLD THE MOST HOMES IN (enter your city name here)? That is the one and only reason why you have GOT to become the Digital Mayor of your town. You’ve got to become so closely connected to anything going on around your town that people automatically think of you when that last question comes to mind. Jason Frazier has some killer ideas about how you can make it happen, on this episode.
Why real estate agents don’t really understand what it means to know their market.
There are so many amazing resources available to agents today that we would have paid big bucks for 15 years ago. Your local chamber of commerce, your local newspaper, your local Craigslist, they all have information that can help you build a database of data about your market. And beyond that, you have your own data, embedded in the facts about your previous clients. You can use all of that to TRULY understand your local market – which will make you more effective in your marketing and client-acquisition efforts. If it sounds confusing, it’s not. Jason Frazier explains it all on this episode.
How my digital media efforts have built a business I love (and how they are attracting customers).
In case you hadn’t noticed, I LOVE my real estate business. Why do I love it so much? Because I get to do exactly what I like to do – be the leader of a media company that happens to sell real estate. How did I get to that place? I focused on being a resource and a source of entertainment for the people of my city (Madison, Wisconsin) and over time those same people have come to see me as THE real estate professional of choice in town. And I did most of it digitally – online – using social media (and podcasts). You can hear my testimony to the power of digital media as a means toward building a business you love on this episode, so be sure you take the time to listen.
Outline of this great episode
- [6:09] Who is Jason Frazier and why is he on this episode about beating Zillow?
- [8:05] The issue is not Zillow, the issue is your fellow agents (and your listings).
- [10:44] The first step to beating Zillow as an agent.
- [15:06] Advice to feed something that is going to build your business apart from Zillow.
- [19:10] Take the time to mine your own data so you know where to focus your efforts.
- [23:29] My testimony about how my digital media efforts are attracting business (and why I’m loving it).
- [25:25] Why the entire Zillow debate is ridiculous. Let’s work on things we can control.
Resources and Links mentioned in this episode
- Jason’s website: https://www.realestatecio.com/
- Jason on LinkedIn
- Jason on Facebook
- Jason on Twitter
- Jason on Instagram
- Jason on Snapchat
- Jason’s previous episode (the most downloaded so far)
- The “Stop Zillow” movement
- www.SearchSaltLake.com – Dustin Brohm’s site
- www.KnightBarry.com – check them out for all your title needs.
- www.EasyAgentPro.com/OJ – get $100 off by using this link (both my site and my company’s website are EAP sites… check them out below)
- To get my free pdf business plan, text “roundbox” to 44222
- To get my 11-question listing presentation tips, text “listing” to 44222
- To contact me about coaching, check out Roundbox Coaching
- Join the FACEBOOK Group: Onion Juice – Ideas for Real Estate Agents
- And… here’s the company I work with in Madison, WI – RealtyExecutivescs.com
Connect with me!
You can find my personal real estate coaching website here
And connect with me on ANY of the following social channels. I LOVE social!
And finally, if you would be so kind – leave a rating and review for the Onion Juice podcast on Apple Podcasts (formerly iTunes)