As an agent, you have probably been trained to “check in” with your clients every couple of weeks. Even if you don’t have a house or a buyer, you don’t want to lose them, right? So you cold call, leave a mumbled message about checking in, and ask them to call you back…[cue crickets]. After listening to this episode, that practice should be a thing of the past. Instead, give your clients exactly what they want!
Buyers want properties, sellers want buyers
Your buyers don’t owe you anything, regardless of how much you call them. You can spend a lot of time spinning your wheels, or you can provide value by giving your clients exactly what they want. Here is the secret formula: Buyers want houses, sellers want buyers. It’s not about calling them just for the sake of calling, it’s about finding them a house. If you lose focus on this, the best plan, strategy, and systems will just be a hindrance to you.
Consumers don’t want you, they want a house
If you are attending to cold leads, it’s important to remember that those consumers don’t want you (even though you are awesome), they want a house, plain and simple. You may have friends and family that declare they will only work with you, as a result of your sphere of influence. If you are working cold leads though, the best way to “warm them up” is to get their criteria, then go find a house that fits. If you know someone who is selling their house, you should abandon the dried out, weak approach of “Let me know if you want me to come over and tell you what’s it’s worth…” Instead, say “Tell me more about your house, I am working with 67 buyers in the area right now, and I think several of them would be interested.” That gets attention and moves the relationship forward. If you are distracted by the “67” number I just mentioned, message me, I will explain how that’s even possible!
“I am already working with an agent”
Clients have learned that saying “I am already working with an agent” is a great defense mechanism, and usually gets agents to leave them alone. Sometimes it’s true, they are working with an agent, but sometimes that “agent” is their wife’s brother’s cousin’s friend, and chances are, that guy is not providing value. If you match houses to their criteria, they will eventually want you, because no one else is giving them what they want.
Now it’s time to go cultivate those old leads!
Do you have leads that have been sitting around for a while? Do you feel the need to call them, just to make sure they are still planning to use you? It’s time to provide value! Remember, buyers want houses, sellers want buyers. Go crush it!
Outline of this great episode
- [0:45] Thanks for helping me celebrate 3 years here on the OJ Podcast!
- [1:30] My first webinar was a success! Check it out in the resources.
- [3:00] Buyers want houses, sellers want buyers
- [6:15] It’s not about “just calling” them, it’s about finding them a house
- [8:00] The consumers don’t want you, they want a house
- [9:00] “I am working with 67 buyers right now”
- [11:00] Tell yourself “The consumer needs my help”
- [12:00] Consumers will want you, because no one else is giving them what they want
- [13:15] “I am already working with an agent”
- [14:30] Cultivate old leads with new properties
- [17:30] We are seeing great results in the 1-1 coaching program!
- www.EasyAgentPro.com/OJ– please use this link as it solidifies the relationship we have them (both my site and my company’s website are EAP sites… check them out below).
Resources and Links mentioned in this episode
- To get my 11-question listing presentation tips, text “listing” to 44222
- To contact me about coaching, go to www.neilmathwegcoaching.comand click Send Message.
- Join the FACEBOOK Group: Onion Juice – Ideas for Real Estate Agents
- If you want to see my website as a REALTOR in Madison Wi go to www.neilmathweg.com
Connect with me!
You can find my personal real estate coaching website here
And connect with me on ANY of the following social channels. I LOVE social!
And finally, if you would be so kind – leave a rating and review for the Onion Juice podcast on Apple Podcasts(formerly iTunes)